Tuesday, October 11, 2016

India's Great Depression


By Manuwant Choudhary

These days everyone is so depressed...Deepika Padukone, Karan Johar and even Barkha Dutt.

But in all the TV interviews its been hard, really hard to get to the bottom of it.

It goes on and on....so I searched the net to get some reasons.

And what I found were only fan support for Deepika.

Why not? She has had five back to back super-hit films.

Is success the cause ?

I've enjoyed her films and she comes across as a happy and fit person.

She is a great actor.

Or is it love and the break-ups?

Im sure she has been through that enough of times already?

Not for Ranbir Kapoor, definitely.

Those tears look too beautiful.

And then she launched a Foundation "Live, Love & Laugh".

She forgot one word - CRY.

 Karan Johar, the handsome producer/director, host, now even he is depressed.

I've enjoyed watching his celebrity interviews...how easily they open up to him, sitting on a couch, drinking Coffee with Karan !

Even my old friend Saif Ali Khan smiles on his shows, not once getting angry or violent !

As a reporter in Bombay I've not been so lucky especially with actresses and models !

They would just clam-up.

The only exception being Nikki Bedi.


She would go into her kitchen and get those endless cups of coffee and little heart biscuits while our photographer  was like inside her closet..making her get into those minis as many times as they wanted. She was such a sport.


Until, of course she giggled at some Gandhi comment on her Nkki Tonight show and Gandhians forced her to leave India.

I felt sad.

I think its alright to feel depressed.

We all do.

The reasons may vary.

Like Khushwant Singh writes, "Its tragic that a clean man like Manmohan Singh loses an election while Phoolan Devi wins."

"Chargesheeted politicians like L.K. Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi continue to hold office. The situation is really pathetic; it cannot get worse. I drown my sorrow in a glass of whisky every evening..."

In these good times (acche din) even markets are depressed.

 My reason for being depressed - Narendra Modi is India's Prime Minister.

But living in Bihar Nitish Kumar denies me even the whisky to drown my sorrows...















No comments: