Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Pakistan Yatra



By Manuwant Choudhary

I have never been to Pakistan but one day I would like to make the journey.

But not like chief minister Nitish Kumar flying to Dubai and then Karachi...or even meeting Asif Ali Zardari...or going to the tomb of Jinnah.

Mine would be different.

Of course, Laloo does not like Nitish Kumar's Pakistan yatra and plays the spoiler, "What will happen if the Pakistani's come to know that Nitish is Narendra Modi's friend?"

Laloo has himself been to Pakistan and understands the yatra is good if you want to win the Muslim votes.

But he is worried Nitish is trying to win over his Muslim voters.

But in the BJP and the NDA there are those who hate Jinnah and there are those who love Jinnah.

I would say like L.K. Advani and Jaswant Singh....and Nitish Kumar love Jinnah.

And they also love Jinnah's politics of divide.

That is why Nitish divided Bihar.

But now Nitish claims to be  a champion to demand Bihar's rights so he held the Adhikar Rally recently.

But with Bihar's official machinery working overtime to make the rally a success...some called it the `Adhikari' Rally.

I have been invited to Pakistan before by friends close to Pakistan's then President Parvez Musharraf but somehow I did not feel like visiting.

For so many years we have heard about governments trying to improve people to people contacts to improve bilateral relations but I am not so sure if its easy to get a visa yet.

But I would not like to fly to take a train to Pakistan - I would like to drive into Pakistan through the Wagah border - ignoring the boot parade of  soldiers on both sides.

And I would get out of my car to meet a Punjab farmer in Pakistan..have tea with him.

Then I would like to visit Mohenjodaro and Harrappa - the great civilisations - that we have lost.

See the Great Bath.

Learn a little more about town planning.

And also see the snow in Kashmir in Pakistan.


And finally, I would like to meet the other Bhutto - Fatima - but not interview her like CNN does sitting at a distance of 30 feet but take her out for coffee.











No comments: