Monday, February 17, 2020

Crooked Cops


By Manuwant Choudhary

On this Hawa Gaaree I took for the first time I saw a traffic policeman pay for his ride and more for his fathers too.

Most cops ride across the city for free.

I asked the gareewallah Shyamji if he had ever been paid before by a cop.

He replied, "Rarely. This cop is a new recruit so he paid..also his father was with him.."

He then went on to narrate the ordeals they face on the road.

"Once I had just parked my vehicle when a dozen cops called me and asked me to get some tea for them..."

I was about to bring them the tea when one of them shouted..."Samosa bhee laana".

So I got them both.

As I brought them the snack and tea..another shouted..."Rasmalai bhee laana."

Even that I fetched for them.

Then when I asked them for the money they replied in unision, "Paise tuu dega."

I said, "Why should I give? Do I keep your money or do i get a share in your earnings?"

They took me to their boss.

I told him the same thing and loudly so the public could hear.

The Boss said, "Isko jaldee bhagao.."

Now they don't trouble me on the roads.

Except once they insisted I show them a pollution certificate.

I told them first you show me the pollution.

They could not because I drive an electric vehicle !

No comments: