Tuesday, September 27, 2022

BSNL - Miss The Landline?

BSNL is India's government owned telecom service provider which has exclusive monopoly rights over providing landline phones to millions of Indians. In the pre-liberisation period you could get a phone connection only if you were a VIP. But during liberisation and with mobile phones things got better. Anyone could get a land-line. But since Modi became Prime Minister the BSNL is perhaps the most neglected of public sector companies. In Patna in their Patliputra office the bill payment area used to be functional and air conditioned. There used to be long queues to pay bills. Now the staff have been told to go home. The false ceiling has collapsed. But despite all this I tried to get my landline restored. So I paid pending bills and went to meet the telephone SDO. He was a lean chappie and I found him sitting squeezed between five other men. The other five looked well fed and prosperous just like BJP leaders. When I gave my request they looked up and even before the SDO could say anything they said if I could apply for a 5 G broadband connections they would restore the landline in a day. But I did not want a broadband. I simply wanted my landline back. The SDO meekly wrote something on my request letter and passed it on. But even five months later my phone is yet to be restored. As for the five other men their antennas are directly connected to the famous house in Mumbai Antilla ....why would they bother about a land-line ?

No comments: