Thursday, September 15, 2022

My OverSmart Electricity Metre!

First it took months and years to get a new electric connection and when the electric metre arrived I was told it was a Smart Metre Prepaid so that henceforth there would be no disputes over bills. Rs 8000 was taken as a security deposit for a 10 kw three phase domestic connection. Then for a year the Smart Metre simply continued supplying electricity even without a recharge of even Re 1. On enquiry I was told that the deposit amount was being deducted. After one full year a mechanic came and took a photo of the metre and informed that now the prepaid metre will be activated and henceforth I would have to make prepayment. Sure enough within a week the electricity was disconnected in March this year. So I made a payment of two thousand as prepayment Then the connection was restored. Then I made another payment of Rs 2000 and then Rs 1000 . All the time theApp showed positive balance. Then suddenly the electric supply stopped. On enquiry I was sent a bill of Rs 69000 only. A closer examination of the bill revealed a wrong address, a wrong telephone number so I sent my lawyer to the electric department. The SDO apologised but said he was helpless. The smart metre had simply not charged me anything. Then yesterday the junior engineer visited my home and explained. He apologised and said he is to blame for the fiasco. But now until I make full payments the connection cannot be restored. But thankfully the actual bill is now Rs 59000 and not 69000. He corrected the address and phone number and promised accurate billing in the future. Kabhi kabhi BSNL SIM fail ho jaata hai. Then he called up someone pleading to restore my connection. Kabhee kabhee sar jhukana bhee padta hai, he told his senior. I had planned to sue the department for Rs 400000 over the non functional Smart Metre but now I am simply going to pay up and get the bijli back. Until then managing on solar battery!

No comments: