Thursday, September 8, 2022

Elizabeth - Queen of the World!

Goodbye Queen Elizabeth. Ever since she passed away I have been reading about her. And it's never enough. One fan said losing her is like losing my own grandmother. And she was more as head of the Commonwealth countries she acted in the interests of all 56 members. But I think she must be the most travelled and loved world leader in living memory. A Queen of the World. The first time I went abroad was as a student when I received an invitation from London to attend the Commonwealth Young Political Leaders Conference. But there was a hitch - I did not have a passport In those days a passport could take anywhere between 6 months to 12 months. So I had no option but use my connections for police verification. But the passport officer Asok Kumar, an IFS officer, was very kind. He offered me a seat plus coffee and issued my passport within days. The conference was a learning experience and a chance to represent India. Not an easy task especially when a politician from Fiji said the Indian police murder their own people in Kashmir. Last evening our Prime Minister watched a laser show to inaugurate the Central Vista Project, or some would say a Vanity Vista. And announced that Raj Path would now be called Kartavya Path to erase all colonial mindset. Modi wants to erase history itself. All this while the Queen of England lay sick. And this morning the Prime Minister said he was pained by her death. But till late afternoon there was no official mourning for her. Even Lata Mangeshkars death there was a two day mourning. Only later did the Indian government announce a one day state mourning but that too postponed to a Sunday. I wonder if Modi has quit the Commonwealth. I never met the Queen like he did but I think I did see her drive in her castle once.

No comments: